FEMA News Release

FEMA Awards $2,952,257 Grant to Village of Machesney Park                             
Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish 24 flood prone structures

CHICAGO –The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $2,952,257 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the village of Machesney Park, Ill., for the acquisition and demolition of 24 residential structures in the Rock River floodplain. 

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III.  “The acquisition and demolition of these homes permanently removes the structures from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“This grant is great news for Machesney Park and residents who have been hit by flooding many times in the past,” said James Joseph, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. “The state of Illinois already has purchased more than 60 flood-prone properties in this area.  This grant will enable even more residents to move to higher ground and avoid future heartache and property losses from future floods.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $3,936,343 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $984,086, will be provided by the village of Machesney Park.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate’s activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Print This Page